Job Announcement: World Uyghur Congress Project Assistant, Munich
World Uyghur Congress, 31 July 2019
The World Uyghur Congress (WUC) is an international umbrella organization that represents the collective interest of the Uyghur people both in East Turkestan and abroad and promotes Uyghur human rights, Freedom and a peaceful and non-violent solution based on rule of law for the conflict in East Turkistan. For decades, the Chinese government has waged an intense and often brutal campaign to repress all forms of Uyghur culture and identity.
The WUC is currently looking for a Project Assistant to be based in Munich, Germany.
PRIMARY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support for the WUC’s advocacy project
- Liaising with the Uyghur community in the diaspora
- Background research as needed
- Representing the WUC at meetings, external events; delivery of presentations and speeches
- Preparation of quarterly activity reports
- Preparing research for reports
- Writing press releases and official statements
- Writing background documents and material for dissemination
- Support with other duties as assigned
PROFILE OF THE CANDIDATE
- Fluent English and Uyghur required; other languages (especially Chinese) are an asset
- University or post-graduate level studies related to Political Sciences, International Relations, Law, Human Rights preferable
- Knowledge of the European Institutions and the UN human rights system
- Excellent organisational and analytical skills
- Good communication, negotiation and writing skills
- Experience of advocacy and lobbying an advantage
- Ability to work autonomously and within tight deadlines
- Availability to travel occasionally
- Good knowledge of social media, email clients, etc.
- A commitment to promote human rights for the Uyghur people
- Willingness to work longer hours depending on the demand is necessary
- Knowledge of Uyghur human rights situation and/or human rights in China would be an advantage
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Full-time position
Qualified candidates should submit, only via email (mail subject: “Application Project Assistant”), a cover letter and CV in English to: [email protected], and [email protected] by August 12, 2019 at the latest. The start date will be negotiable but there is a preference that the candidate starts as soon as possible. The WUC will cover all expenses and other similar costs associated with the position.