Emrati Princess Hend Faisal Al Qassimi Voices Rare Muslim Support For Persecuted Uyghurs

RFA, 27 April 2020

Below is an article published by RFA, Photo RFA/Twitter.

Princess Hend Faisal Al Qassimi, a member of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) royal family, took to Twitter on Sunday to issue a rare voice of support from the Muslim world for ethnic Uyghurs enduring persecution in northwest China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).

Read More →

WEEKLY BRIEF: 24 APRIL 2020

World Uyghur Congress, 24 April 2020

WUC Welcomes Ramadan 2020
On Friday 24, the WUC welcomed the holy month of Ramadan by wishing Muslims all over the world a happy ramadan, and asking them to keep the Uyghurs in their prayers and thoughts. “For three years, Uyghurs have been waiting for the Muslim world to speak on our behalf and hold the Chinese government accountable,” WUC President Dolkun Isa stated. “During Ramadan in 2020, we urge Muslim leaders around the world to reconnect with the beliefs and values they hold and to do what is right by demanding China stop its crimes against humanity against Uyghurs.”  

Read More →

Interview with Jewher Ilham, daughter of jailed activist Ilham Tohti

PEN, 06 April 2020

Below is an article published by PEN, Photo PEN.

The twenty-five-year-old Jewher Ilham has not seen her father Ilham Tohti, economist and human rights activist, since 2013. She is not sure if he is alive, but she remembers them eating ramen together at the airport in Beijing just before the plane was due to leave. She was going with him to the United States because he had been offered a research position at the University of Indiana.

Read More →

PRESS RELEASE: China Must End Forced Labour and Mass Transfer of Uyghur Detainees

Press Release – For immediate release
1 April 2020
Contact: World Uyghur Congress
 www.uyghurcongress.org
+49 89 5432 1999 or [email protected]

The WUC is deeply concerned by the Chinese government’s continued practice of forced labour and the mass transfer of Uyghur prisoners and camp detainees to other parts of China to engage in forced labour. While these policies have predated the current novel coronavirus pandemic, they appear to be escalating and growing in severity. It is increasingly apparent that the Chinese government is using furor and panic caused by the current pandemic, to carry out these mass transfers and increase its use of Uyghur forced labour without scrutiny or attention from the international community.

Read More →

Xinjiang County Sends Uyghur Camp Detainees to Prison, Interior of China

RFA, 19 March 2020

Below is an article published by RFA, Photo courtesy of TikTok.

Shohret Hoshur – All internment camp detainees in one county in northwest China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) have been relocated to prisons or to parts of the country’s interior, according to a local police officer, following reports of similar policies in other parts of the region.

Read More →

Uighur activists say China’s coronavirus measures are causing widespread hunger

Hong Kong Free Press, 27 February 2020

Below is an article published by Hong Kong Free Press, Photo Uyghur Human Rights Project.

Draconian measures by China to curb the coronavirus have caused widespread hunger in the tightly controlled Muslim-majority region of Xinjiang, ethnic Uighur activists charged Wednesday.

The Uighur Human Rights Project, a Washington-based advocacy group, also voiced concern that the COVID-19 could spread in internationally condemned camps where more than one million Uighurs and other Turkic Muslims are incarcerated.

The group said that China imposed a quarantine with little advance notice in parts of Xinjiang in late January after at least two COVID-19 cases in the regional capital Urumqi.

Citing videos, photos and residents’ conversations with members of the Uighur diaspora, the group said that “many” people have gone short on food, medicine or other critical supplies as they have been ordered to stay inside their homes.

In one video believed to have been shot last week in Yining county, a man is heard shouting at officials, “I’m starving. My wife and children are starving,” before banging his head into a pole and shouting, “Do you want to kill me? Just kill me.”

The group vouched for the video’s authenticity, saying the man and the person who filmed the episode were taking great risks by both breaking the quarantine and circulating the footage.
Radio Free Asia earlier reported that in the city of Artux, authorities erected metal fences almost two meters (six feet) high to keep residents from leaving their neighborhoods.

China has imposed quarantines in numerous parts of the country to contain the novel coronavirus, which originated in the central city of Wuhan and has since killed more than 2,700 people worldwide, the vast majority in China.

China has come under international criticism for its treatment of the Uighurs, with activists and witnesses saying it is trying to forcibly integrate the mostly Muslim ethnicity and strip their Islamic heritage.
Beijing has described the camps as educational, saying it is providing minorities with training and discouraging Islamic extremisim.

Read More →

U.N. rights boss expected in China, including restive Xinjiang region, this year: envoy

Reuter, 26 February 2020

Below is an article published by Reuter, Photo REUTERS/Denis Balibouse.

Read More →

PRESS RELEASE: Camp Detainees Particularly Vulnerable During Virus Outbreak

Press Release – For immediate release
27 January 2020
Contact: World Uyghur Congress
 www.uyghurcongress.org
+49 89 5432 1999 or 
[email protected]

The WUC is deeply concerned that the rapidly spreading novel corona virus outbreak, which has affected thousands of people in China, may put the Uyghur people and those detained in camps at particular risk. The virus, which was first reported in Wuhan, has already infected 2,000 people and resulted in the deaths of 81 people.

Read More →