Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong arrested on suspicion of unauthorised assembly participation

Hong Kong Free Press, 24 September 2020

Below is an article published by Hong Kong Free Press. Photo Studio Incendo

Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong has been arrested on suspicion of taking part in an unauthorised assembly on October 5 last year and violating a mask ban, according to a post from his official Twitter account. It occurred while he was reporting to the Central Police Station at around 1 pm on Thursday.

Read More →

China has built 380 internment camps in Xinjiang, study finds

The Guardian, 24 September 2020

Below is an article published by The Guardian. Photo ABC News.

China has built nearly 400 internment camps in Xinjiang region, with construction on dozens continuing over the last two years, even as Chinese authorities said their “re-education” system was winding down, an Australian thinktank has found.

Read More →

EVENT ANNOUCEMENT: THE UYGHUR GENOCIDE PHOTO PROTEST

Press Release– For immediate release
22 September 2020
Contact: World Uyghur Congress
 www.uyghurcongress.org
+49 89 5432 1999 or [email protected]

The World Uyghur Congress (WUC) is organizing a three-day long photo protest at the Broken Chair Square, in front of the United Nations headquarters in Geneva (1202 Geneva, Switzerland), from 22 September to September 24, 2020. This event is taking place during the second week of the 45th session of the Human Rights Council, where world’s leaders and high-level officials will be present for the occasion. 

Read More →

Xinjiang government confirms huge birth rate drop but denies forced sterilization of women

CNN, 21 September 2020

Below is an article published by CNN.

Chinese officials have officially acknowledged birth rates in Xinjiang dropped by almost a third in 2018, compared to the previous year, in a letter to CNN in which they also denied reports of forced sterilization and genocide by authorities in the far western region.

Read More →

WEEKLY BRIEF: 18 SEPTEMBER 2020

World Uyghur Congress, 18 September 2020

NEWS

WUC Press Release to the EU-CHINA SUMMIT
On 14 September as leaders of the EU and the Chinese government met this week, in a virtual meeting replacing the planned EU-China Summit, the WUC called in a press release on the EU to make a strong and principled stand in light of China’s genocide against the Uyghur people and human rights violations against Tibetans, Mongolians, Hong Kongers and Han Chinese activists and lawyers. The EU must not conduct business as usual with a Chinese government complicit in genocide and other atrocities.

Read More →

Citing Uighur mistreatment, U.S. restricts imports from China’s Xinjiang region

NBC News, 14 September 2020

Below is an article published by NBC News. Photo Keir Simmons/NBC

U.S. Customs and Border Protection issued orders on Monday that will block certain products from the Xinjiang region of China from entering the U.S. due to allegations of forced labor involved in their production.

Read More →

PRESS RELEASE: WUC Calls for EU to Address Uyghur Genocide During EU-China Summit

Press Release– For immediate release
14 September 2020
Contact: World Uyghur Congress
 www.uyghurcongress.org
+49 89 5432 1999 or [email protected]

As leaders of the EU and the Chinese government meet today, Monday, September 14th, in a virtual meeting replacing the planned EU-China Summit, the WUC calls on the EU to make a strong and principled stand in light of China’s genocide against the Uyghur people and human rights violations against Tibetans, Mongolians, Hong Kongers and Han Chinese activists and lawyers. The EU must not conduct business as usual with a Chinese government complicit in genocide and other atrocities. The WUC urges the EU and EU member states to use this opportunity to take concrete action to end the Uyghur genocide and hold the Chinese government accountable.

Read More →

Europe said ‘never again.’ Why is it silent on Uighur genocide?

Politico, 14 September 2020

Below is an OpEd by WUC President Dolkun Isa, published by Politico. Photo John MacDougall/Getty Images.

Over the past three years, the Chinese government has subjected the Uighur people to one atrocity after another in a ruthless attempt to destroy us.

Beijing has detained between 1 million and 3 million Uighur people in internment camps, forced people into modern slavery, curtailed the use of our language and religion and destroyed mosques, shrines and graveyards. Children have been taken from their parents and brainwashed, and women have been sterilized.

And yet, Europe’s reaction, beyond some initial statements, has been to say and do nothing.

Read More →