Event Announcement: Uyghur Youth Leadership Training Seminar Applications Open
The World Uyghur Congress (WUC) under the co-sponsorship of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO) and with support from the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), will convene a 3-day Uyghur youth training seminar taking place from March 29-31, 2017, in Brussels, Belgium.
This will mark the 12th training session organized by the WUC as we have proudly held workshops each year since 2007 in cities as far as Sydney, Washington, Tokyo, Brussels, Berlin, Geneva and the Hague.
Following up to many of the training workshops conducted by the World Uyghur Congress in the past, this year’s training will provide a select group of Uyghur youth particularly interested in engaging with their own national and local governments over the Uyghur issue the tools and skills necessary to do so. In addition to more local engagement, participants will also be briefed on the role and components of UN and EU human rights mechanisms as well as the role of international law more broadly.
Current issues facing the Uyghur community will also be discussed during the workshop, most notably the recently passed Anti-Terror Law that has been widely condemned by the international community along with China’s new Foreign NGO Management Law. Both laws have been drafted and implemented over the past two years and their effects have already been visible.
Past seminars have focused on highlighting many of the current and persistent problems Uyghurs consistently in East Turkestan so that participants are able to develop a context-specific approach to possible solutions.
Those interested in the training seminar should closely consider the below-mentioned conditions and can apply at the link below.
Applications are Open to:
- 25-30 selected Uyghur youth
- Uyghur youth between the age of 18 and 36 (participants may be considered outside this age range depending on extenuating circumstances)
- Uyghur youth actively involved in the Uyghur cause in the past OR those planning to engage in the future.
- Uyghur students studying law, politics, international relations or human rights
Conditions for Application:
- Applicants must fill out the registration form before the February 10th deadline (registration is encouraged as early as possible)
- Applicants should also submit 1-2 recommendation letters by a local Uyghur organization or other organization
- If participants require funds for travel, the WUC may cover these expenses (Food and accommodation will be covered by the WUC for all participants)
Further details regarding the seminar will be released as the event nears.