China Hints at Trials for 20 Seeking Asylum

Originally published by The New York Times, 13 February 2010

BEIJING — The Chinese Foreign Ministry has indicated that 20 Uighur asylum seekers who were deported from Cambodia to China in December are being or have been put on trial for what China considers criminal activities.

“China is a country ruled by law,” Ma Zhaoxu, a Foreign Ministry spokesman, said in a written statement to The New York Times. “The judicial authorities deal with illegal criminal issues strictly according to law.”

Mr. Ma’s statement came last week in a brief reply to a list of detailed questions The Times sent to the Foreign Ministry inquiring about the fate of the Uighurs.

Read More →

Pro-independence group again invites Kadeer to visit

Originally published by Radio Taiwan International, 12 February 2010

A pro-Taiwan independence group said Friday it has again invited Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer to visit Taiwan. That’s after a previous trip was prevented by the government over concerns it would provoke China.

Head of the organization Guts United Taiwan, Freddy Lim, extended the invitation when he met Kadeer in Washington on Wednesday.

The group said in a statement that Kadeer wished very much to visit Taiwan for DVD release of the Chinese version of her biopic, The Ten Conditions of Love. The DVD is scheduled to be released in Taiwan in March.

Read More →

China government’s undesired websites unveiled

Originally published by E-Taiwan News, 12 February 2010

Google’s row with China over Internet freedom has aroused an universal concern for its controversial mechanism of information censorship. Many cannot help but wonder what is China’s rationale underlying Internet censorship? And what kind of websites are forbidden?

Recently, Phoenix Weekly stationed in Beijing published a “confidential blacklist,” revealing a series of unwelcome websites – KMT is surprisingly included in the list.

Read More →

Door open to remaining Uighurs, says Palau

Originally published by Australia Network News, 11 February 2010

Palau President Johnson Toribiong says he is standing by his offer to temporarily resettle five Uighurs still being held in America’s Guantanamo Bay detention centre.

The men are the last of a group of 22 captured in Afghanistan after the US invasion in 2001.

Last year six of the detainees were moved to Palau – prompting suggestions that it was in return for financial aid from the United States.

Read More →

Trekking 1,000km in China for e-mail

Originally published by BBC, 11 February 2010

On the streets of the capital, Urumqi, people huddle around braziers to keep warm. The call to prayer rings out from the minaret of a mosque.

Every few minutes in the middle of Urumqi another security patrol passes. Chinese policemen in smart blue uniforms march in line, brandishing their guns.

Police vans drive by slowly with their blue and red warning lights flashing, officers in helmets and camouflage gear peering watchfully out.

Read More →

US ASEAN ambassador ends Cambodia trip, slams Uighur expulsions

Originally published by Monsters & Critics, 10 February 2010

Phnom Penh – A senior US envoy to South-East Asia wrapped up a brief visit to Cambodia Tuesday saying he had reiterated to Phnom  Penh that Washington remained ‘very disappointed’ with its December expulsion of 20 Uighur asylum-seekers to China.

The US still had no news on the fate of the Uighurs, said Scot Marciel, the US ambassador for ASEAN Affairs, in charge of relations with the 10 members of the Association of South-East Asian Nations.

Read More →

ABC boss denies caving in to China on Uighur documentary

Originally published by The Australian, 10 February 2010

ABC managing director Mark Scott has described as “absolutely ludicrous” suggestions the corporation buckled under pressure from China not to broadcast a controversial Australian documentary about Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer.

But Mr Scott’s claim that the film The 10 Conditions of Love was never “locked in” for screening appeared at odds with an ABC email sent to its producer, John Lewis, apologising for shelving the original broadcast date of December 17.

Read More →

US won’t forgive Lon Nol debt

Originally published by Phnom Penh Post, 10 February 2010

The United States has no plans to forgive Cambodia’s decades-old debt, a senior US diplomat said Tuesday, after Cambodian officials renewed requests for the country’s Lon Nol-era debt to be erased from the books.

Speaking to reporters near the end of a brief visit to Cambodia on Tuesday, Scot Marciel, the US Ambassador for ASEAN affairs and the deputy assistant secretary of state for its East Asia and Pacific bureau, said his government’s stance on the issue had changed little, despite repeated requests.

Read More →