Resolution of the World Uyghur Congress Steering Committee to Convene Extraordinary General Assembly
On June 23, 2017, Ms. Rabiya Kadeer’s proposed to convene an Extraordinary General Assembly of the World Uyghur Congress (WUC). The WUC Steering Committee called a meeting and approved four important propositions and assigned the general secretariat to come up with a plan on the date and location of the General Assembly. Per this decision, the general secretariat put together an action plan in line with the Steering Committee’s decisions. During the teleconference of the Steering Committee on June 30, 2017, the following decisions were made unanimously:
- The date for the General Assembly (World Uyghur Congress 6th General Assembly): August 25-27, 2017.
- The location for the Extraordinary General Assembly: Munich, Germany.
- The number of the delegates for the Extraordinary General Assembly: 61 to 71.
- The criterion of the delegates for the special session:
- World Uyghur Congress leaders
- Various local Uyghur organization leaders and representatives
- Uyghur intellectuals
- Elders of the Uyghur community
- Youth representatives
- Popular political activists
- A preparation committee will be established to prepare and organize the Extraordinary General Assembly.
- A special observatory committee will be established to observe (supervise) the groundwork of the preparation committee.