Turkish symposium calls Uighur region “forgotten Palestine”

A major international symposium called China to open East Turkestan to the world and stop all human rights abuses.

Originally published by: World Bulletin / News Desk 22 March, 2010

A major international symposium, that gathered in Istanbul over the weekend to discuss the recent situation inside Uighur region, called China to open East Turkestan to the world and stop all human rights abuses.

The “Free Eastern Turkistan Symposium” was organized by the Istanbul Peace Platform, and the IHH was one of the event’s organizers.

The symposium opened with the speech of IHH chairman Bulent Yildirim, who explained the aim of the symposium to acknowledge the human rights violations and attacks against the Uighur Muslims for the past 60 years.

Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Konya deputy Husnu Tuna and Saadet (Felicity) Party Istanbul Provincal chairman Erol Erdogan talked about different ways to pressure China to stop human rights abuses.

“All kinds of pressure”

Prof. Dr. Alimcan Inayet said all kinds of pressure against the Uighur Turks and human rights violations continue, as to the policy of forced migration to reduce China’s Uighur minority.

“The Chinese communists in the East Turkestan continues to transfer population to other regions, as well as restrictions on the Uighur language, Chinese education, bilingual education, birth ban, religious worship” he said.

Reminding that the region has rich natural resources, Prof. Dr. Alimcan Inayet said, “torture and executions continues in a systematic manner, while birth policy applied to the people of the region, despite relentless objections.”

Inayet said China violates the right to education and Chinese educational practice is used to speed up the assimilation process among the Uighurs. Although according to the Chinese Constitution, every citizen has the right to have religious belief or disbelief, the Muslim Uighur civil servants are banned to prayer and fast, Inayet said.

Continue Reading →

UNPLUGGED IN URUMQI

By Adrienne Mong,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Originally published by: NBC News                                                                                                                                                                            
 March 19, 2010

 

URUMQI, China – For quite some time, I had been looking forward to travelling back to Xinjiang province, one of my favorite destinations in China, for a reporting trip.

But I also had a sense of trepidation. 

The predominantly Muslim province has been an Internet-free zone since riots broke out last July between the ethnic Han Chinese and the minority Uighurs. Provincial authorities say 197 people died in clashes on the streets of Urumqi, the provincial capital, in one of China’s worst incidents of ethnic strife in recent memory.    

So while everyone’s debating what a China without Google might look like if the Internet giant quits operations in the country, the 20 million-odd residents of Xinjiang province have had to contend without any Internet access for the past eight months.

Continue Reading →

Unplugged in Urumqi

 

Continue Reading →

Local MP Paul Goggins joins fight to free Sale man’s brother from detention in China

Originally published by Messenger, 19 March 2010

A Sale resident has enlisted the help of local MP Paul Goggins and the foreign office minister Ivan Lewis in the fight to have his brother freed.

Dilimulati Paerhati, 31, of School Road Sale, has not spoken to his brother Dilixaiti Paerhati, 28, since he was taken from his home in north-west China in August last year.

The pair are Uighur Muslims, an ethnic minority community from the troubled region of Xinjiang which experienced widespread unrest and rioting in July last year.

Dilixaiti, editor of a popular website that was shut-down by authorities in July, disappeared on August 7.

He had already been held in custody for eight days.

Continue Reading →

Intervention on Cambodia’s UPR Report

Originally published by UNPO, 18 March 2010

UNPO’s Maggie Murphy will make an intervention on behalf of Interfaith International at the occasion of the consideration of Cambodia’s Universal Periodic Review report at the 13th Session of the UN Human Rights Council.

The intervention concerns violations against the Khmer Krom population including asylum seekers, and expresses grave concern at the refoulement of 20 Uyghur asylum seekers in December 2009 despite Cambodia’s signature to the 1951 Refugee Convention.

The intervention can be viewed here .

Continue Reading →

The Exodus – Part II?

Originally published by Hürriyet, 18 March 2010

“The killings of Uighur Turks by the Chinese police during demonstrations constitute genocide. I use this term intentionally.” (Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, July 2009)

 “I went to Darfur myself and saw no genocide there. Muslims don’t commit genocide.” (Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, November 2009)

 “Politicians cannot decide on genocides. This is the duty of historians.” (Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, March 2010)

This concise compilation of three statements on three different dates within a span of eight months has been brought to the public’s attention by Cem Toker, leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, or LDP. Put in chronological sequence, the three remarks unmistakably summarize Mr. Erdoğan’s mindset on genocide.

Continue Reading →

Google China uncensors verboten tank man: Search engine breaks law against Google will

Originally published by  The Register, 17 March 2010

By Cade Metz

Google’s Chinese search engine was defying local law on Tuesday by returning links involving the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and the Xinjiang independence movement, according to a report from NBC News.

Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but the company tells NBC that despite its January 12 announcement that it has decided to “no longer” censor search results in China, it is continuing to do so. “”We have not changed our operations,” the web giant said.

Nonetheless, NBC was able to access previously-censored links from Google.cn, including the famous 1989 image of a lone man blocking a line of Chinese tanks in Tiananmen Square. A search for “tank man” in Chinese characters on the search engine returned just one link to the photo – though several are available from the company’s engine overseas.

Continue Reading →

China Fails to Dispel Mystery About Missing Dissident

Originally published by New York Times, 16 March 2010

HONG KONG — China’s foreign minister waded into the mystery over the disappearance more than a year ago of one of the country’s most prominent human rights lawyers, but his remarks on Tuesday shed little light on the lawyer’s fate.

At a Beijing news conference, Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said the lawyer, Gao Zhisheng, had been sentenced to prison for subversion. But Mr. Yang did not say whether he was referring to a new sentence or whether he was citing a suspended sentence that Mr. Gao had received in late 2006 after writing an open letter to President Hu Jintao alleging mistreatment of adherents of the banned Falun Gong movement.

In the 2006 case, Mr. Gao was quickly released after he made a confession. He later said he had been coerced into confessing by state security officials.

Continue Reading →